Historic Lovill House Inn features the very best packages and accommodations for romantic NC getaways to Boone and the High Country. Autumn is a wonderful time to run away with the one that you love best and spend some time together. The NC High Country’s leaves are already starting to change. Book your trips for October and see the vibrant displays of color. The area offers a plethora of different activities and events to choose from if you wish to enjoy the crisp fall temperatures and blue skies. The annual fall festivals such as Woolly Worm, Valle Crucis’ Fall Festival and Autumn at Oz bring many visitors, but sometimes the best activity is just to take a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoy a hike to a panoramic view.
Here are some of the most popular fall hikes and places to stop and view the scenery:
1. The Blowing Rock attraction – elevation 3,566 ft. The Blowing Rock is the oldest attraction in North Carolina and offers views of Table Rock, Hawksbill, and the other mountain peaks in the area including Beech Mountain. On a clear day you can even see the buildings of the Charlotte skyline. Ripley’s Believe-It-Or-Not once released a cartoon about “the only place in the world where snow falls upside down.”
2. Howard’s Knob – elevation 4,420 ft. Howard’s Knob is located just minutes from our Boone NC bed and breakfast. You can take a short 5-10 minute drive to the top of the mountain and you’ll be rewarded with unparalleled views of Boone and Appalachian State University.
3. Elk Knob State Park – elevation 5, 566 ft. The park is located in Todd and features a 1.9 mile hiking trail that leads to the summit. There are also other hiking trails, a picnic area a place for great pictures.
4. Hanging Rock – elevation 3,944 ft. This peak is located in the community of Seven Devils. Travel down Highway 105 to Foscoe and turn right at the entrance to the Town of Seven Devils and make your way up the mountain.
5. Grandfather Mountain – elevation 5,946 ft. Home of the Mile High Swinging Bridge as well as numerous nature habitats. The mountain is worth a trip if you plan to spend the day exploring and hiking. It has some of the best panoramic views in the High Country and the park itself is second to no other park in the High Country.
Many of these locations would also be a fantastic spot for engagements. All have breathtaking shots of the mountains in the backdrop of their overlooks and some are remote enough to provide tons of privacy if that is what you are looking for in an engagement location. Looking for a romantic getaway vacation package? Click over to our romantic getaways Boone specials and plan your trip. Our Boone accommodations are located in a restored, Victorian mansion that is close in to Downtown Boone yet far enough away to offer just the right amount of privacy and convenience.